- October 6th: All School BBQ 5:30-7:30
- October 10-13: Denver Field Trip (see email for more logistics on this trip)
- October 26th-27th: Fall Break, no school
- October 31st: Halloween!
- November 1: Teacher Work Day, no school
- November 2nd-3rd: Parent-Teacher Conferences (sign-up by clicking here!)
- Next week’s snack person is: teachers (for Monday)
- Please sign up for a Tuesday drop-off & Friday pick-up location (see Denver logistics email)
- The school is now collecting BoxTops for Education
- Thank you, Soren and family, for bringing in nutritious snacks for our class this week! We must give extra gratitude for how carefully and individually packed they were, many thanks to you.
- Thank you everyone who put effort into our very successful El Tioga. Every last bit of food was eaten, everyone was fed, and the kids all had huge-pasta-sauce-covered smiles on their faces afterwards.
- In advance- thank you Michelle, Lindsay, Brian, Beth, Jenny, and Lara for coming with us on our Denver trip. We couldn’t do it without you.
What’s Happenin’ in 3-4:
Monday morning sure was exciting with the fresh layer of heavy snow. Without power at school we enjoyed natural lighting, used flashlights in the dark bathrooms, and enjoyed the peaceful quiet. It was so much fun!
On Wednesday, students were introduced to the timeline of US/Colorado history. Some historical periods/events introduced were: European exploration, the era of Westward Expansion, when Colorado became a state, when women earned the right to vote (did you know that Colorado was the first state to allow this?Yeah, Colorado!), when the Homestead Act was instilled and many other pertinent eras/events. This “500 years of history in 30 minutes” was a meaningful experience for kids which left them with dropped jaws. It was a profound moment in our classroom. Ask your children how to make butter, they all did it on Wednesday! Yum :)
This week all students have begun their final copies of their first writing piece. Third graders are working on the revision process and now writing their third and final copies of a personal narrative. Many students couldn’t believe they were doing a third draft…welcome to third grade! Ask your child what they are writing about and what the “heart” of their story is. Fourth graders are now typing their second drafts of a realistic fiction story. The revision process is a shared teacher-student experience using google docs. Ask your kids how this is going– it’s pretty neat! After Denver we will be publishing our stories with artwork and celebrating this accomplishment.
Next week is our big trip to Denver, and we couldn’t be more excited. We are looking forward to: visiting the dome of the Capitol Building, watching coins get made at The Mint, getting our hands wet in the Platte River, learning about Molly Brown’s life, dining together, playing at the pool, and so much more. This is a truly rich learning experience for our 3-4 community, and we are so fortunate to embark on this adventure together!
Lots of information came to you in an email on Thursday afternoon. Please review this information. We have a regular school day on Monday. Tuesday morning your child needs to be at school by 7:50 or El Jebel by 8:45. They should have their daypack on their back and their duffel bag in hand. Please be sure they have snack, lunch and water bottle for Tuesday, we will feed them from then on. If you have any questions please don’t wait to ask.
Student Class News – by Chloe & Eli
Today was very snowy and the forts were closed, make sure to bring boots, jacket, gloves and snow pants.
Denver is only two school days away! Yay! We will be getting our groups some time this week.
The packing list will be in the blog, make sure you have your bag packed with the proper essentials for the trip and bring it to school next tuesday.
You are allowed to bring ONE SMALL electronic, no bigger than an ipad. Your device is ONLY FOR THE BUS!!!!!!!!
Reading homework: Read “just right” (appropriate leveled) books 20 minutes every night, log reading, and return log and book bag the next day. They need to have their book bags at school every day.
Friday to Thursday homework: NONE due to Denver Trip