Oh, yay! It’s you!
We’re so happy that you’ve found our Welcome Back blog post. Nicely done! Now… before you read any further, please make sure that you’ve subscribed to our blog. This is our primary mode of weekly classroom communication, and we don’t want you to miss out on any upcoming news or events. Pop over to the right side of our page, scroll down a bit, enter your email address, and then hit that SUBMIT button…
Did you do it? Awesome. Way to check that first thing off of your list.
Our 2018-2019 Back To School Letter:
Hi there, first and second grade families!
It may be hard to believe, but the start of our next school year is less than a month away. We are excited to see you all, and we hope that you’ve been enjoying your summer as much as we have.
Here’s a snapshot of what we’ve been up to this summer…
Kristina managed to fill every possible second of summer with smiles and adventure. Trips to WA, VT, and NYC provided soul-filling moments with family and friends. Casey enjoyed countless water and land adventures! Explorations of the North Shore of Lake Superior, MN revealed agates and waterfalls. Additional SUP, hiking, and a professional trip with Kristina to the Teachers College in NYC rounded out Casey’s awesome summer. Katie spent the summer camping, hiking 14ers, and playing with her new puppy.
To our returning second graders, we’ve enjoyed the glimpses into your summer adventures that you’ve shared with us in your letters. To our new first graders, we can’t wait to hear all about your summer adventures!
This upcoming school year will begin with a chance for each student to meet individually with us. We’ll talk about reading, math, and hopes for the year. Please contact Cindy to schedule a time for your child to come in and see us. Our assessment dates are Wednesday, August 22-Friday, August 24th. Your child’s time slot will be 60 minutes, so be sure to bring a book or your coffee – you can stroll around the mesa while we meet with your kiddo!
When your child comes in for his or her meeting, please bring the following items to school:
- For kids:
- 3-5 photos, yes, just photos, to remind yourself of people, places, and adventures you’ve loved that can serve as inspiration for future writing pieces.
- Your Summer Reading/Writing/Math Notebooks!!!
- For parents:
- A letter to us! We’re asking parents to take a few minutes to write to us about your child. Think of things that might be important for us to know as well as your hopes and expectations for the coming year. As our team works to create friendly schedules, a joyful classroom environment, and engaging learning experiences both in and outside the classroom, we’d like to keep your child’s special interests and talents in mind.
- All start-of-year paperwork for Cindy
For your future planning needs, here is a short list of 1-2 classroom supplies for your child to bring on the first day of school:
- Communal supplies:
- One small personal pencil sharpener
- Three bags/boxes of regular #2 pencils
- One package of small stickers
- One package of 3″x3″ square post-it notes
- One container of disinfecting wipes (we will make another call for wipes in January)
- One spool of yarn
- Personal supplies:
- One pair of cozy inside shoes/slippers to stay at school
- Two unruled (blank) 8.5 x 11 inch notebooks
- One 12 pack of colored pencils- nothing too fancy!
- One small pencil pouch
- One small (8-12 oz.) water bottle
- One pair of ear buds
Once school begins, children will need to bring a snack and a lunch to school every day. We do not have an available microwave to use, so if your child enjoys hot food at lunch, please consider warming it up at home and sending it to school in a thermos. We encourage healthy and fresh food in order to best prepare your child for their school day.
In the interest of making your fall calendar planning more streamlined, here are some important upcoming dates for our class and for ACS:
- Tuesday, August 28th: First day of school for K-4! We will see you at 8:00AM!
- Monday, September 3rd: No school, Labor Day
- Thursday, September 13th: K-4 Back to School Night
- Thursday, September 27th: ACS BBQ
- Friday, September 28th: No school, Teacher Workday
Enjoy the rest of your summer. We can’t wait to see your children’s huge smiles back in school!
Kristina, Casey, and Katie