Welcome back. We hope you all had a wonderful week with your children. We spent our first week back re-adjusting to our normal schedule, reflecting on The Big Event and reporting on our spring break experiences.
Second grade book clubs are reading The Mixed Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler, a Readers Theater entitled The Emperor’s New Suit and Junie B. Jones – Cheater Pants. We’re also working on knowing how to punctuate dialogue using quotation marks and mastering 2nd Grade sight words.
Some of the First Graders performed a Readers Theater of The Ugly Duckling at All School Meeting on Friday. They really did a fantastic job on very short notice. First Graders are also learning to read words with vowel pairs ai, oa, and ea. As we approach the end of the year, we will be working hard on fluency, the ability to read a text accurately, quickly and with expression. Fluent reading is important as it provides a bridge between word recognition and comprehension because fluent readers do not have to concentrate entirely on decoding words.
April is Poetry Month and we will be reading and writing poetry all month. Right now, the students are writing “I am” poems which identify and communicate personal characteristics. It’s been fun to read what they wrote and we’re working on an attractive and interesting way to display them. Night journal homework this week will be for students to write an acrostic poems — poems in which the first letter of each line spells out a particular word or phrase. We included an example in the night journals.
Thank you all for all you do for us, your children and for the school.
PS – I would have liked to have included more photos but the website wasn’t cooperating. We’ll try to add them next week.
- 4/11 Founders Day Celebration @ 3rd Street Center 6-8 pm
- 4/13 Early Release at 11:45
- 4/20 We host El Tioga (We will be sending home a email soon).
- 4/27 – 5/11 – Dibels Window Opens (we will begin the End of the Year reading assessments this week. Please read as much as possible at home!)
- 5/4 K-4 Assessment Day (We will be finishing reading assessments on this day. We will contact you about an time for your child’s assessment.)
- 5/11 – We host El Tioga
- 5/16-5/18 Outdoor Ed Trip (First Grade will spend one night. Second Grade will spend both nights.