Hello 1/2 Families!
Welcome back to the blog – we took at week off since we had the opportunity to speak with you all in person on Thursday and Friday, 11/8 and 11/9. Thank you all so much for attending your child’s conferences with them! We enjoyed getting to meet with you all and have your child share their goals and accomplishments! We are so proud of all of our students and the hard work they do every day!
The week of 11/13 – 11/17 involved a lot of creativity and community!
Conversation Starters! Ask your child about…
- Jelly Bean Meditation
- Being mindful with our sense of smell…eucalyptus, cinnamon, and lavender!
- Hitting 50 days in school!
- Practicing for and performing “We Are the World” on Friday at the Thanksgiving Feast
- How to sign “We Are the World”
- What makes a good friend?
- Reading “Clementine” during Doodle Book
- Playing “Would You Rather?” Would you rather wash your hair in mashed potatoes or take a bath in gravy??
- Music class with Amber on Friday
- First Grade Literacy – In First Grade literacy we’re learning about consonant blends and digraphs while continuing to learn to read and spell 1st grade sight words. The kids are building their reading stamina and we read for a full 17 minutes (no interruptions!) last week. We also read and worked on the new Power Readers which were then sent home in Friday Folders. Note: Usually Power Readers will be sent home in the Night Journal bags for your child to read and work on during the week.
- Second Grade Literacy – In Second Grade literacy we’re continuing to read in small groups and are learning to read and spell 2nd grade sight words. The kids are working on building fluency by reading and re-reading short passages. We reviewed r-controlled vowels and the predictable vowel teams ai/ay; and oa/ow/oe. We worked on the SuperCharged readers that some 2nd graders will have in their folders. These are to read and work on during the week. The Book Club is reading Ralph S. Mouse and are focused on expanding their vocabulary by paying attention to interesting words.
1st Grade Math:
- We continued with our geometry unit by focusing on the characteristics of shapes such as how many sides it has, if it has straight edges or curved edges, number of angles… We identified shapes by similarities and differences and created posters with our math partners to share our categories with the class!
- We composed squares into unique shapes, combining art and math!
- We worked on our calendars to increase number recognition, fluency, and patterns to 31. We also worked on writing our numbers neatly without reversals.
2nd Grade Math:
- Students dove back into geometry this week with a focus on identifying the attributes of 3-D shapes. Students challenged one another in a guessing game focused on common attributes of 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- We composed squares into unique shapes, combining art and math by creating collages!
- We ended the week identifying different types of polygons with a focus on triangles and quadrilaterals. We also talked about right angles and how they are one of the attributes of rectangles.
- We were wowed by the fact that a square is always a rectangle BUT a rectangle isn’t always a square!
- WE need your help with 1-2 EL TIOGA on 12/1!! If you haven’t already signed up to help, please see Shelle’s email about helping to make food, serve food, and clean up! Our main course will be chili and we are asking parents to make a large pot of chili to contribute if possible. As you know, the money from El Tioga goes directly to our classroom to fund our Outdoor Education and special projects!
- 11/20 – 11/24 Thanksgiving Break
- 11/30 – School Advisory Committee (open to staff and parents) 6-7pm
- 12/1 and 12/8 Choice Days
- 12/1 Coffee Chat with Sam
- 12/7 Student Advisory Council 12:00-12:30
- 12/20 – Noon Release Wednesday
- 12/21 – Winter Break
- 1/4 – School Resumes