You always start your letters at the top!
And the survey says…more 1st graders would like to be mahi mahi fish than butterflies.
Dancing for PE!
Hello 1/2 Families!
Happy weekend! We had a great week in the 1-2 Learning Center full of exploration, sharing, laughter, and learning. We began the week again with Mindfulness Monday and a focus on compassion and empathy. What is it to have empathy? What is it to show compassion? We moved into Tuesday full speed ahead and dove deeper into our developing project: A Solar Arcade! As you know, our big event theme this year is ‘The Sun’. The 1-2 Students were inspired by a video about a boy who created a cardboard arcade. We have decided to create our own cardboard arcade that has a ‘Sun’ theme and focuses on teaching others about the sun. The kids have been busy brainstorming ideas for cardboard arcade games. We have drawn pictures, met with partners, watched videos…all to learn more about arcades and get our ideas rolling. We are hoping to bring in a design expert in the coming week to talk to us about how to take an idea from conception to product. We also hope to find a way to visit a real arcade…any suggestions on where to find one?? We hope to finish our projects in mid-February. At that time we will open our arcade to the school and families. In order to reach this goal, we may need parents to gather supplies at home, save cardboard paper towel rolls, send packing tape, etc… Please feel free if you would like to join us during work days in the classroom as we turn our arcade games from drawings to reality.
Conversation Starters! Ask your child about…
- Discussing Civil Rights and some of the people who fought for Civil Rights, like Ruby Bridges, Rosa Parks, and Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Thinking about how to make a claw machine out of cardboard!
- Dance at PE
- Sharing in our gratitude circle
- Choice Friday
- Ted’s presentation about single-stream recycling at All School Meeting
- Shelle was out part of this week and will be out next week as well. Lisen has been subbing and has continued to work with students in literacy groups that target your child’s learning goals.
- Students also work on handwriting, reading to self, and grammar/ parts of speech.
1st Grade Math:
- We started a data unit last week and have been discussing what data is, how we gather information, and how to represent data.
- Students have enjoyed conducting surveys this week such as “Would you rather have a pet horse or a pet penguin?”
- Please work with your 1st grader on skip-counting by 10s and fluent addition and subtraction facts within 10. They should have these memorized by the end of 1st grade.
2nd Grade Math:
- We are currently studying data and graphing in 2nd grade math and have been sorting information into categories and identifying common attributes.
- Students are learning to represent data using representations such as charts with tally marks, picture graphs, and bar graphs.
- 2nd graders conducted their own surveys on Friday and created representations of the data.
- Please work with your 2nd grader on counting coins at home. By the end of second grade, they should be able to identify coins and add them together.
It is cold outside. Please make sure your child has their winter gear every day. Also, please make sure your child has a water bottle at school.
- 1/15: Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL
- 1/18: Intercambio for parents (call Sandra if you are interested) 5:30 – 6:30
- 1/19: All School Meeting, El Tioga, Choices
- 1/24: Middle of Year Reports go home
- 1/26: Teacher Work Day, NO SCHOOL KIDS, Optional Conference Day
- 1/29: Grades K-2 visit ACES and possibly the arcade in Aspen…kids will need to dress warm and bring a sack lunch
- 2/8: Target date for arcade project
- 2/8: Big Event Tryouts
- 2/9: All School Ski Day at Buttermilk
- 2/12: Aspen Mountain snowshoeing field trip, leave at 8:15am…kids need to dress warm and bring a sack lunch
- 2/16: Big Event choices
- 2/17: Hoedown!!! (Please sign up to volunteer!)
- 2/19: President’s day, NO SCHOOL
- 2/22: CCS Portfolio Night
- 2/23: Big Event choices
- 3/21: Big Event, noon release
- 3/22: Big Event
- 3/26 – 4/2: Spring Break!!
- 4/20: 1-2 Learning Center Hosts El Tioga