April is National Poetry Month and the 1st and 2nd Graders, aka poets, have been working hard on creating “I am” poems this past week! Come check them out on the gallery wall across from the classroom! We have also been reading and exploring acrostic poetry.
For Doodle Book we have been reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and have laughed and cried along as we experience the journey of this china rabbit.
This coming week we will be investigating the concept of having a growth mindset. We will also be exploring ways that we can celebrate Earth Day as a classroom community.
Ask your child about:
- Making cards of encouragement for the 3rd – 8th graders taking state tests
- Slow tag
- Brainstorming ideas for Outdoor Ed
- Making dragon art for Memphis’s birthday
- Sidewalk chalk fractions (1st grade)
- Trading up $ in math (2nd grade)
- Lunchtime picnics on the lawn
Our End of the Year Reading Assessments are coming up. Please make sure that your child is reading at home!
1st grade: Students are working on ways to make 10. For example, 9 + 1, 8 + 2. It is important that by the end of the year, they have memorized their 10 facts.
2nd grade: Students should know all 0 – 12 facts by heart at the end of the year. For example, 9 + 12, 4 + 8, 7 + 7. Quiz them as you are driving in the car or eating breakfast!
- 4/20 We host El Tioga!
- 4/27 – 5/11 – Dibels Window Opens (we will begin the End of the Year reading assessments this week. Please read as much as possible at home!)
- 5/4 K-4 Assessment Day (We will be finishing reading assessments on this day. We will contact you about an time for your child’s assessment.)
- 5/11 – We host El Tioga
- 5/16 – 5/18 Outdoor Ed Trip (First Grade will spend one night. Second Grade will spend both nights.
- 5/28 – Memorial Day, no school
- 6/6 – Triathlon in afternoon
- 6/6 – 8th grade graduation
- 6/7 – Noon release – move up and good by circle and field day
- 6/8 and 6/11 – EOY Conferences
- 6/12 – Teacher Work Day