It seems like we say this every week but last week was the busiest by far. On Monday, we rode the gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain to go snowshoeing with ACES. It was cold and windy but the ACES instructors kept us all moving while talking about winter animal habitats. After lunch, Cary from the Aspen Mountain Ski Patrol talked to us about skier safety. She even allowed Greta to set off the avalanche airbag pack.
On Tuesday, we started building the Solar System Arcade. There was a bit of creative chaos but as the kids sorted through the materials and talked with their teammates, their ideas began to gel. The Arcade will be set up for you to play on Portfolio Night (Thursday). Prepare to be amazed!
Wednesday was more Arcade building and Valentine’s Day. The kids had a great time passing out cards Wednesday afternoon. Thanks for your help in getting the cards addressed and spelled properly.
Thursday afternoon, we spent time finishing up the Arcade games and painting and decorating them.
On Friday, the kids presented their 100th Day Projects. We were blown away by the creativity. From 100 bottle caps to 100 cupcakes, the kids came up with fantastic ideas. First/Second also had a big presence at All School Meeting. One of the Second Grade reading groups performed a Readers Theater entitled How Maui Tamed the Sun, First and Second Grade Spanish class performed Tengo, Tengo, Tengo, Second Graders promoted the Hoedown and First Graders promoted the Arcade.
And, we finished the week with Big Event Choice. Each scene group met to discuss and plot their scene, practice a little and create some art for the poster. Angie and I are teaming up with experienced teachers for our first Big Event. We are really excited to be a part of this creative endeavor.
Ask you child about:
- How to persuade someone of something (Hint, we wrote and performed at All School Meeting commercials for the Arcade and for the Hoedown);
- Their arcade game;
- Their Big Event Scene Group; and
- Pippi Longstocking.
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Thursday, February 22 – Portfolio Night 6:30-8:00 pm
- Friday, February 23 – First/Second will be providing El Tioga. Grades 5-8 will be gone so it will be a smaller than usual El Tioga. We’re making macaroni and cheese, carrot sticks and cookies. Contact Angie if you can help.
- Wednesday, February 28 – Culture Fair and Parent Mindfulness Class
- March 12 – Parent Work Night for Big Event
- March 21 – Noon Release and Evening Performance
- March 22 – Optional School Day and Evening Performance
- March 26-April 2 – Spring Break