What a wonderful week we had in the 1-2. Here are some highlights!
Ask your child about…
- Monday Morning Mindfulness with Brad: Martin Luther King and compassion/ The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
- Finishing our final drafts of our personal narratives and taking pride in our hard work!
- Learning more about the sun through partner research and writing facts about the sun
- Reading aloud Brighty of the Grand Canyon
- Creating get well cards for Shelle and fashioning them into a book
- Working with Lynne in art to brainstorm design ideas for our arcade
- Passing the 80th day of school!
- Sharing personal narratives in the Author’s Chair and giving compliments.
- Our “sun walk” outside with a partner. When led with your eyes closed, can you feel the difference between the sun and the shade.
- Friday Choices!
- Folding 1,000 paper cranes with our family groups
- How to collect Pennies for Patients to fight blood cancer. We will get to duct tape a teacher to the wall if we meet our goal.
Ask your 1st grader about…
- How to find a Goldilocks book: A Goldilocks books is not too hard and not too easy…it is JUST RIGHT! Being able to recognize, read, and write high frequency words (previously sent home).
- Representing and describing data, and, solving comparison story problems with the difference unknown…identifying words such as fewer and more than to help us understand the problem.
- Writing final drafts! We have written stories but final drafts are new to 1st grade.
Ask your 2nd grader about..
- How to find a Goldilocks book: A Goldilocks book is not too hard and not too easy…it is JUST RIGHT! Being able to recognize, read, and write high frequency words (previously sent home).
- Completing a “Show What You Know” about sorting data into categories based on similar attributes and representing that data in categories in a bar graph. Then, describing and interpreting what the data show about the group surveyed.
- Showing perseverance while writing our final drafts of our personal narrative and doing our best work.
- NEXT WEEK is Spirit Week to raise money for Pennies for Patients!
- Monday: Wear PJ’s for Pennies (wear your pajamas)
- Tuesday: Neon for Nickels (wear neon colors)
- Wednesday: Dazzling for Dimes (wear your dazzling and sparkly clothing)
- Thursday: Crazy for Quarters (wear your crazy socks, hair, clothes)
- The 100th day of school is fast approaching! We will be asking students to create a 100th day of school project at home. They will gather 100 objects to represent 100 days. More information will come home in next week’s Friday folder.
- Book Order: Please return book orders by Wednesday so we can place our order.
- We are gearing up for All School Ski Day at Buttermilk on Friday, February 9th. More information will come home in next week’s Friday folder. We will need to know if your child will need rentals and/or if they need lessons.
- Optional Conference Day: Friday, 1/26. Please let us know if you would like to schedule an optional conference on that day.
- Village Parent Letter: Please read The Village Letter from our parent representatives, Lisen and Amber: Village Letter
Cheers! Angie & Shelle
- 1/24: Middle of Year Reports go home
- 1/26: Teacher Work Day, NO SCHOOL KIDS, Optional Conference Day
- 1/29: Grades K-2 visit ACES and possibly the arcade in Aspen…kids will need to dress warm and bring a sack lunch
- 2/8: Target date for arcade project
- 2/8: Big Event Tryouts
- 2/9: All School Ski Day at Buttermilk
- 2/12: Aspen Mountain snowshoeing field trip, leave at 8:15am…kids need to dress warm and bring a sack lunch
- 2/16: Big Event choices
- 2/17: Hoedown!!! (Please sign up to volunteer!)
- 2/19: President’s day, NO SCHOOL
- 2/22: CCS Portfolio Night
- 2/23: Big Event choices
- 3/21: Big Event, noon release
- 3/22: Big Event
- 3/26 – 4/2: Spring Break!!
- 4/20: 1-2 Learning Center Hosts El Tioga